Our goal at Williams Roofing is to secure your first line of defense when it comes to the inclement weather. Water, in whatever form, (rain, snow, sleet, or hail), has a way of penetrating any weaknesses in your roof. It is our goal to not only install roofs that will stand up to the wear and tear that the weather may bring, but to assist when leaks occur.
Locating the origin of the roof leak
While many roof leaks are simple to repair, determining the source of the leak is often the more difficult task. When a drip is discovered on a ceiling, the homeowner often assumes that the leak is originating above the leakage point. In reality, a leak can be traveling down a rafter or can even be the accumulation of condensation.
Finding the cause of the roof leak
Roof leaks can be caused by any number of things. Once you familiarize yourself with the potential causes of leaks, you may be able to determine the source through the process of elimination. If not, you can always contact a certified roofing contractor for assistance.
Here are a few of the main sources of roof leaks:
- Missing, cracked or loose shingles, tiles or seams
- Damaged or deteriorated flashing, seals and caulking
- Improper attic ventilation, which can cause moisture through a buildup of condensation
- Improper installation of valleys, flashing, shingles, collars, etc.
- Ice Dams, which prevent proper run off and force water to back up beneath shingles
- Ponding water
- Exposed nail heads
- Skylight flashings
- Wind driven rain
- Built up debris, which can trap moisture and accelerate deterioration
Here are a few ways to help prevent roof leaks:
- Tree branches that are touching or hovering over the roof should be trimmed
- Gutters should be clear from all types of debris
- If your gutters are hanging or loose they should be replaced or repaired immediately
- Get your chimney or skylight, get them caulked
- Houses with attics should have plenty of ventilation and insulation
- Replace missing, loose or cracked shingles.
If your roof is leaking here’s what you should do next:
If you suspect you have a roof leak, you don’t have to wait for rain before you are able to investigate the problem. As you can see from the above list, roof leaks can happen for many reasons and have all kinds of effects, which is why it is so important to get in touch with a roofing professional like Williams Roofing as soon as you spot a potential leak. Our qualified experts will work closely with you to help identify the exact cause of the leak so that the appropriate repair can be made quickly. Contact us today for a free roof evaluation!